Monday, June 16, 2008

Ellen Allien


She’d probably never admit it, but this 20-something Berliner is making more of an impact on the face of music than the superfamous with an extraordinary idea: being positive, having fun, and taking as much of the world in as she can. (Photos by Michael Mann)

How did growing up in West Berlin shape your early years?

I grew up feeling surrounded by the Wall, that separated East- and West Berlin. I lived on the small island of West Berlin, what meant: border controls on Sunday excursions, the rummaging through bags, the military. It was scary for me as a child. Nevertheless, the island of West Berlin has been a destination for creative minds in search of alternatives. In the 80ies, for the first time people were singing in the language, you could hear out on the streets of Berlin: Ideal, Grauzone, Nina Hagen pop meets punk. Things happened so fast. My side of Berlin provided a home for the curious, those who were going against the flow. However, it was only when the Wall came down that I was immediately fascinated by East Berlin, by this atmosphere of curiosity and get-up-and-go. There was room for experiments. Electronic music united East and West.

During Berlin's renaissance and electronic music explosion you submersed yourself in the world-by mixing tapes, dabbling in art, and you also trained to be an acrobat...what sort of arts other than music currently inspire you?

Before the wall came down, I was living for 6 years in a squart. There I found myself as an artist. I was hanging around in studios, doing jam sessions in cellars, I took saxophone lessons, I painted, I did everything that I could have done with art. I started my life as an artist there, because everyone was living the same way around me. Money was not important at all, jobs neither. I just did what I wanted to, doing music, painting, dancing and doing acrobatic. Among my friends were artists only. Later it became more techno, because techno became more commercial, had success. And the need for the label “Ellen Allien” developed in these days. Today I earn my money only with music: djing and producing on my own. Nevertheless all kinds of art influence me, especially those who crosses borders like I do: Björk, David Bowie, Charlotte Gainsbourg, David Lynch, Michel Gondy, Karl Lagerfeld..

With your crazy schedule how do you find about new music? Who are you listening to right now?

At the moment I do some vinyl cus for SOOL, my new album, and I listen to the remixes that were made for it. And I also love to listen to the new BPitch Control releases, Telefon Telaviv, or the movie soundtrack from Paul Kalkbrenner or the new Moderat album. There is not so much time left at the moment for something else, I will have clean ears again in 2 month when I am finished with my promotion and remix process for SOOL. BUT!!! – last week I have been on such an amazing concert by (Chilly) Gonzales in Berlin!!! I had so much fun!!! He is an amazing entertainer! And I will go to a Radiohead concert soon, Modeselektor will be the preband..



You've returned to Berlin and said it was the 'city that let's you breath.' What the scene there currently?

The scene is quite refreshing here, and it changed a lot within the last years. Many people moved to Berlin, from France, Italy, Spain, USA.. And those people really improve that air of being globalized. The clubs, galleries and everything cultural is quite well visited. Many young people live here who want to see and experience something. That creates a very vivid ambiance! And I like it! Because German people tend to see everything so depressed and dark. They miss to see, that we create the life style we want to live on! But nevertheless, I have to admit that Berlin still leaves so much void and space for creativity like nowhere else on this world.

What equipment do you use for your live mixes and shows?

Live: Max MSP and vocals with some effects; as DJ still vinyl, but I am preparing to switch to digital, or at least I will try it.

What inspired you during the making of your new album, Sool?

I produce my albums mainly in winter, and at this time I am always thinking about the summer. And my last summer has been sooooooooo good. I felt many abstract tracks and minimal stuff around me, and I tried to catch it with my own productions. And of course, I felt a need to produce exactly the tracks I need for my sets or if I want to listen to at home. In sum, it is electronic music with smart and abstract melodies, not too cheesy, just something refreshing for your brain..

If you were to make a mix tape right now, what would you put on it?

I would put over the tracks stories in a language nobody could understand.. The allien languages.. ;) Haha.. Bubbling over minimal music.. Something like this..


No comments: