Monday, June 16, 2008

Beach House--Devotion


The cover art of Beach House's "Devotion" sets the mood. Bandmates Alex Scally and Victoria Legrand sit across a table from each other, cake and candlelight between them. Possibly, they're even in a beach house. The scene is warm and inviting, yet at the same time dark and spooky – just like the 11 tracks to follow.The sophomore effort from the Baltimore duo is a much fuller, lush -and more consistent - effort than their self-titled debut. So consistent and endearing that it should be listened to as a whole.Opener "Wedding Bell" drops you in an ethereal space of love and longing. "Oh, but your wish is my command," Legrand reassures. But later, doubt creeps in. "Oh, is your heart still mine to save?" An opportunity or a burden? At the very least, she's second-guessing.

Of course, thoughts of devotion permeate the album.

"I will wait for you there, creeping silently" ("Turtle Island"), "I'd like to be someone you could finally learn to love again" ("Heart Of Chambers"), "Your picture is still on my wall" ("Some Things Last A Long Time"), "How I know you will return so I won't be sad" ("D.A.R.L.I.N.G.").Legrand's voice is enchanting and commanding. Like hearing the Sirens of Greek mythology, it's hard to steer your ship away.

No comments: