Saturday, July 18, 2009

Interview with Resa Blatman

Boston based artist Resa Blatman was kind enough to share about her crazy intense and surreal-y natural art. Here is what she says about her newest works, a tremedously cool blend of rich painting and cut edged canvases to expand the idea of hangable art:


"My current work is about fertility, abundance, sensuality, and an over-the-top beauty. The paintings combine decorative patterns with flora and fauna. The cut-edge surfaces are an extension of the painting itself, allowing the work to feel as if it is growing out of control."


Resa: "If you look at my “gallery” on MyArtSpace or check out my website at http://www.resablatman.com/ you can see the cut-edge panel paintings. This is my newest work and the direction I plan to pursue for now. I’ve completed two triptych cut-edge panels (the third, “Lemon Spray,” is nearly complete), and I’m in the process of starting a fourth in this series, which will be approximately 20-30 feet wide and include six or eight panels.
My plan is to keep the cut edges elaborate and have each of the panels integrate more often with one another. As for what I plan to paint, well, that’s my secret for now. Only my husband knows what I’m thinking about putting on the surface, and that may change."

You like them, don't you? I thought so. Resa's words come from a fabulously intensive interview with Brian Sherwin from MyArtSpace and can be read in full here: http://www.myartspace.com/blog/2009/05/art-space-talk-resa-blatman-part-1.html
Resa's work can be ogled at her website: www.resablatman.com

No comments: